Fiscal Rules Dataset
1985 - 2013
IMF Fiscal Affairs Department
Quick references: Selected papers and databases that take stock of cross-country experiences with fiscal rules can be found below.
To view interactive data, start with one of the links below:
• Debrun, X., L. Moulin, A. Turrini, J. Ayuso-i-Casals and M. S. Kumar (2008), “Tied to the Mast? National Fiscal Rules in the European Union,” Economic Policy, April 2008, pp. 299–362.
• European Commission, Domestic Fiscal Governance Database
• European Commission (2012), Fiscal Frameworks across Member States: Commission Services Country Fiches from the 2011 EPC Peer Review, Occasional Paper No.91, (Brussels: European Commission)
• Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, International Budget Practices and Procedures Database
• Kopits, G. and S. Symansky (1998), Fiscal Rules, IMF Occasional Paper 162.
• Kumar, M., E. Baldacci, A. Schaechter, A., C. Caceres, D. Kim, X. Debrun, J. Escolano, J. Jonas, P. Karam, I. Yakadina, and R. Zymek (2009), Fiscal Rules—Anchoring Expectations for Sustainable Public Finances, IMF Staff Paper, (Washington: International Monetary Fund).
• Ljungman, G. (2008), Expenditure Ceilings-A Survey, IMF Working Paper 08/282, (Washington: International Monetary Fund)
• Wyplosz, C. (2012), Fiscal Rules: Theoretical Issues and Historical Experiences, NBER Working Paper No. w17884.
• European Commission. “Economic Governance”
• European Commission. “Six-pack? Two-pack? Fiscal Compact? A Short Guide to the New EU Fiscal Governance”
• Kufa, P., A. Pellechio, and Rizavi, S. (2003), “Fiscal Sustainability and Policy Issues in the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union,” IMF Working Paper 03/162 (Washington: International Monetary Fund)
• Schipke, A. (2012), “Snapshot of Another Monetary Union,” Finance and Development, March 2012 (Washington: International Monetary Fund)
• Iossifov, P., Kinoshita, N., Takebe, M., York, R. C., and Zhan, Z. (2009), “Improving Surveillance Across the CEMAC Region,” IMF Working Paper 09/260 (Washington: International Monetary Fund)
• Dore, O., and Masson, P. R. (2002), “Experience with Budgetary Convergence in the WAEMU,” IMF Working Paper 02/108 (Washington: International Monetary Fund)
• West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU)
• Central African Economic and Monetary Community (CEMAC)