The IMF owns and occupies two Class A headquarters office buildings encompassing approximately 3 million gross square feet in the heart of downtown Washington, DC, just three blocks from the White House. In addition, the IMF owns an extended stay apartment building used by its teaching Institute, a recreation facility used by many international agencies, and leases nearly 200 residential and commercial office properties around the world. The Fund's Facilities Management Division (FMD) is responsible for managing these facilities and provides a wide range of facilities-related services that support the Fund's core mission and influences its bottom line.
The FMD vision is to understand customers' needs and deliver outstanding building facilities services to support the IMF's worldwide mission. This is achieved through:
- Continually monitoring, understanding, and anticipating their customer' current and future needs;
- Providing cost-effective services aligned to the IMF's work;
- Managing customer expectations through effective communication about available services and defined service levels;
- Providing on-going services quickly and effectively, and streamlining internal and cross-functional processes as required;
- Obtaining employee and other stakeholder input through transparent and timely communication; and,
- Measuring their performance against both customer-oriented baselines and objective world-class standards.
FMD values the diversity of our community and promotes continuous improvement through participation of employees and other key stakeholders.
Facilities management services are provided by a staff of 30+ qualified facilities, engineering, architectural, and real estate professionals. In-house staff are supplemented by outsourcing arrangements with strategic partners. Responsibilities include project management, planning and design, construction management, operation and maintenance, and real estate management. Specifically, they:
- Oversee the operation, maintenance, and disposition of building systems and exterior elements including parking garage and grounds.
- Manage energy usage and purchased utilities (electricity, natural gas, water and sewerage) in excess of $6 million annually.
- Track, account for, and dispose the Fund's capital assets and property.
- Provide project management services for their owned buildings, including space planning, office renovations, building systems, and special function area renovations.
- Oversee and manage the Fund's owned and leased real asset portfolio
- Prepare and administer large capital project submissions based upon customer requests or long-range capital planning initiatives; develop and maintain a master program of building requirements.
- Manage the furniture, furnishings, and architectural finishes program for the buildings.
- Manage the Fund's environmental and life safety activities, waste management including emergency procedures (accidents, disasters, system failures, and business continuity).
- Provide comprehensive services relating to leasing, acquisitions, dispositions, design, and construction/space alterations for the international Resident Representative program and other properties and programs in member countries.
- Implement and maintain performance measurements and cost allocations for facilities management-related activities, including benchmarking initiatives.
- Formulate medium- and long-term space utilization plans based on Fund growth patterns; develop and administer the master space plan.
- Identify opportunities for process optimization; research market for appropriate technology enablers; develop and recommend integrated business and technological solutions; and lead the implementation effort for these projects.
FMD is focused on a number of key initiatives, including:
- Implementation of a facilities capital investment planning tool based on the facilities condition index standard
- Development of a plan for architectural and workspace standards to more effectively use space
- Implementation of a QA/QC program to enhance on-time and on-budget delivery of capital and renovation projects
- Strengthen client relationships and improve the services we provide by enhancing client feedback mechanisms
- Implementation of a formal sustainability program for the IMF's buildings and operations.