The Language Services group provides translation and interpretation services, both locally and abroad, to facilitate communication between the IMF, its member countries, and the general public. It is also responsible for producing IMF publications in languages other than English. Although the Fund maintains a core of staff translators and interpreters, a significant portion of the work is performed by freelancers based in the U.S. and around the globe.
- The Fund routinely translates documents from English into Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish, and from these languages into English; and may also provide translations in other combinations among these languages and occasionally from other languages into English.
- The translated materials may be used for internal purposes or for publication in print or electronically on the IMF.org website.
- At IMF headquarters in Washington, D.C., interpretation is provided in English, Arabic, French, Russian, Spanish, and Portuguese.
- Interpretation services are provided as needed for multilingual Fund meetings worldwide, including the Annual and Spring Meetings, as well as for missions, conferences, seminars, training courses, and for resident advisors and technical assistance experts in the field.
- Types of interpretation services provided include simultaneous, consecutive, and whispering.
If you have translation or interpretation experience in the languages listed above in any field related to the Fund's mission (e.g., finance, economics) and are interested in being considered for freelance or contract work, please see Current Vacancies. If there are no open positions, you may create a Candidate Profile through the Current Vacancies JobLink and request e-mail notification of new positions at the Fund that match your interests.