Developing a Revised Manual for the PPI (TEG-PPI)
Draft Chapter Outline for Revised PPI Manual
Technical Expert Group for Updating the Manual on PPI (TEG-PPI)
Technical Expert Group on Producer Price Indices
Revision of the International Labour Organization Manual on CPI
Inter-Secretariat Working Group on
Technical Expert Group for Updating the Manual
on PPI (TEG-PPI)
1. The Technical Expert Group is established to provide IWGPS with technical advice on revision of the PPI Manual. The group exists solely for the production of this manual.
2. Development of the PPI Manual will be coordinated with the development of the CPI manual and, wherever appropriate, reflect consistent content, terminology, and methodology with the CPI Manual.
3. TEG-PPI will recommend experts for the drafting of the Manual and suggest a mechanism for the co-ordination of the work.
4. It will technically supervise the writing of the manual and submit the final text to IWGPS for approval.
5. IWGPS will be responsible for overall management of the revision process and for the approval of the manual.
6. The chairperson of TEG-PPI will participate in relevant meetings of IWGPS to ensure cross-reporting of activities.Method of Work
It is envisaged that chapters of the draft manual will be prepared--drafted, reviewed, and/or edited--by different authors who will be appointed from amongst the members of the Ottawa Group, Voorburg Group, TEG-PPI, and IWGPS. Participation in preparation of the manual is also open to recognized experts in price measurement from national statistical offices and the professional economics and statistics communities from all parts of the world, including developing countries and countries in transition .
An editor will be appointed on the recommendation of the TEG -PPI for integrating the work done by the experts as well as coordinating and supervising their work and observance of deadlines.
IMF Statistics Department will act as the secretariat for the TEG-PPI.Scheduling
The draft manual should be submitted not later than December, 2000 for approval by the IWGPS.
Comments on and suggestions for improvements of the draft will be submitted to TEG before the end of March, 2001 and the revised draft manual should be submitted and approved before the end of October, 2001.
Members of TEG-CPI are expected to meet their own direct expenses. At their election and as resources permit, the IWGPS member organizations may arrange for the services of one or more consultants to assist the TEG-PPI in its work.Members of the Technical Expert Group on
Producer Price Indices
Paul Armknecht, International Monetary Fund, Chair