Training in Washington
Internal Economics Training
1. Question: Who can be invited or apply for IMF courses?
Answer: Officials of IMF member countries' central financial agencies, such as central banks and ministries of finance, economy and planning, who are sponsored by their agency.
2. Question: How can one apply to IMF Institute for Capacity Development Course?
Answer: For courses by application, applicants can apply online for courses conducted in Washington, Singapore and Vienna. For courses by invitation, the Institute will contact authorities with request for nominations.
3. Question: Will applications be accepted by mail and fax?
Answer: No, effective August 1, 2010, the IMF Institute for Capacity Development will no longer accept faxed copies
4. Question: How are participants selected for courses by application?
Answer: An Admissions Committee composed of senior staff from across the IMF makes the final selection, aided by evaluations by IMF area departments and IMF Resident Representatives. The applicant's professional assignment and education, his or her previous attendance in Institute courses, and the needs and previous representation of the applicant's country play an important part in this decision.
5. Question: Can officials apply for courses and seminars by invitation?
Answer: No, applications are not accepted for these activities.
6. Question: How are participants selected for courses and seminars by invitation?
Answer: Usually nominations are initially made by government authorities. For some courses, final selection is made by the IMF Institute for Capacity Development or other IMF staff in consultation with the regional institute or local sponsoring agency responsible for helping to organize the course.
7. Question: Who teaches IMF courses?
Answer: IMF Institute staff, specialists from other departments of the IMF and the World Bank, and guest lecturers from other institutions and universities.
8. Question: Is the Japan-IMF Scholarship Program for Advanced Studies open to all?
Answer: No, only Japanese nationals are eligible for JISP, which is funded by the Government of Japan.